In this article we allow you to better understand the term web design. The creation and design of a website is the design of the web interface: the interactional architecture, the organization of the pages, the tree structure and the navigation in a website. The design of a website takes into account the specific constraints of Internet support, particularly in terms of ergonomics (the study of people’s efficiency in their working environment), it’s usability and accessibility.
Web design therefore requires a variety of skills: in programming, input efforts and interactivity, as well as a good knowledge of the technical constraints and property related aspects to this field web design.
Introduction to web design
The web design of a site first comes in the form of a functional model with technical specifications: ergonomics, graphic charter, visual identity, marketing, interactivity.
The steps to take to account when creating a website
There are two types of websites which are dynamic and static websites. Depending on the type of website you want to create, some of these steps are optional or even unnecessary. Each of these stages corresponds to specialized skills (ergonomics, information architecture, SEO, Web writing, copy writing, codding, etc.).
- Reflection on the objective of the site, its target, its profitability, the financial means to be committed.
- Reflection on the desired anatomy and the type of human resources to carry out the update.
- Reflection on the content: pages, expected services, navigation principles and various terms of the website
- Registration of a domain name.
- Choosing a host for your website.
- Choice and installation of a Content Management System (examples: WordPress, SPIP, TYPO3, Drupal, Joomla, Wiki, etc.) or a WYSIWYG type website editor (examples: Adobe Dreamweaver, PHP Designer, Microsoft FrontPage, NVU, KompoZer, Webself, iziSpot) or text (examples: Bluefish, Emacs, Notepad++…).
- Establishment of an HTML or XHTML page structure.
- Definition of a tree structure
- Attribution and creation of your graphic figures.
- Development of an editorial charter or figure.
- Creation of pages via the Content Management System or the editor. Pages can be created individually or based on a system of templates.
- Implementation of the graphic charter. To properly separate structure from presentation, CSS style sheets are used.
- Possible dynamic developments
Launch of the site online.
Updating: updating is a fundamental action and very important part in the life cycle of a website. It consists of modifying and developing the structure and functionalities of the website.
Backup: This is the act of saving a copy of your online website on your local machine for security purposes. We live in a world where everyone looks everything to their advantage and there try making thing happen their way. Your website security may be low and hackers try to break in and get your site down for their self reasons.
Maintenance: the maintenance of a website generally consists of ensuring that it functions properly. We can distinguish four types of maintenance: Corrective maintenance, Preventive maintenance, Evolutionary maintenance, Adaptive maintenance
The accessibility of the site is a given to be taken into account at each stage from the development of the structure of the pages. The same is true of referencing, the strategy of which can be implemented from the design stage. SEO principles are also to be taken into account when creating templates, integrating pages, writing content, launching the site, maintaining it.
Constituting web pages
- Structure and content, in HTML or XHTML
- Presentation with CSS style sheets.
- Graphics by cutting and integrating GIF, JPG, PNG, MNG images.
- Browsing and data exchange through the HTTP protocol and the use of Web Service or AJAX.
- The incorporation of multimedia.
To purchase a domain name and hosting for your website, sign up for any of the following hosting services and get a 30% reduction in what ever plan you chose
you now know the steps to follow for a web design so if you are interested and want to create a website for your activity or your company contact us.